Leading to examinations, the IB Diploma Programme is a rigorous pre-university course of studies, that meets the needs of highly-motivated secondary school students and fulfills the requirements of various national education systems. The Diploma model is not based on the pattern of any single country, but incorporates the best elements of many. The programme is available in English, French or Spanish.
The candidates for the Diploma are required to take 6 courses, one from each area or group. The groups are listed below, and the subjects offered at KES in each group are indicated. A student needs to take three courses at the Higher Level, and three at the standard level.
- GROUP I - Language A (first language) English
- GROUP II - Language B (second language) French, German
- GROUP III - History, Business and Management, ITGS
- GROUP IV - Experimental Sciences Physics, Chemistry, Biology
- GROUP V - Mathematics Standard Level, Higher Level, and Mathematical Studies
- GROUP VI - Electives Music, Theater, Visual Arts or any selection from one of the other groups.
As well as the above, the diploma offers some special features:
- THEORY OF KNOWLEDGE - This is a required interdisciplinary course intended to stimulate critical reflection upon the knowledge and experience gained inside and outside the classroom. TOK seeks to develop a coherent approach to learning by encouraging students to question the bases of knowledge, be aware of subjective and ideological biases, and develop personal modes of thought.
- CREATIVITY, ACTION, SERVICE - CAS is a fundamental part of the Diploma and encourages the students to take seriously the life outside of the world of scholarship, and to share their energy and talents while working cooperatively.
- EXTENDED ESSAY - All Diploma candidates are required to undertake original research and write a maximum 4000 word extended essay in a subject of their choice, under the guidance of a teacher, and externally graded.
Diploma candidates are required to take three of their subjects at the Higher, or more advanced, Level, and three at the Standard Level. Exams are graded on a scale as follows:
1. very poor
6. very good
In addition, bonus points may be earned from the TOK or the essay. A total of 24 points is necessary for awarding of the Diploma, along with satisfactory completion of TOK, CAS and the essay.